Thursday, November 6, 2014

Third Article

There are a lot of good things written about the power of the Gospel and grace as rediscovered by the reformers of the sixteenth century. However, one of the clearest descriptions of our helpless situation before Jesus and new life in Jesus through the work of the Holy Spirit can be found in Luther's meaning/explanation of the third article of the Apostles' Creed.

The meaning to the 3rd Article of the Apostles' Creed

I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; 

but the Holy Ghost has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith; even as He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian Church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith; 

in which Christian Church He forgives daily and richly all sins to me and all believers, 

and at the last day will raise up me and all the dead, and will give to me and to all believers in Christ everlasting life. This is most certainly true.

The first article describes what the Father does as creator and provider. The second article narrates the saving work of Christ. The third article is more of a list than either a description or narrative: Holy Spirit, holy Christian church, communion of saints, forgiveness of sins, resurrection of the body, life everlasting. Growing up I remember wondering why we never learn what the Holy Spirit does; instead we just get a list of church things.

But that's what the Holy Spirit does! The Holy Spirit creates the church by working faith in the hearts of people, a connection or communion of all who are in Christ whether alive or in heaven, regenerating lives through forgiveness, giving us the hope of a resurrection of all people because of the resurrection of Jesus, and working in us life now and into eternity. We can be very thankful that the Holy Spirit is more than the first item of a list!


No comments:

Post a Comment